Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Saturday, April 18, 2009

bees, bees, bees

Last week, I had yet another bad run in with cashews. I ended up with a rash covering most of my body and a trip to the doctor. I am FINISHED with cashews for the rest of my Peace Corp service....Anyway, things are good now and i just returned from a much needed week in Dakar. I spent most of last week entertaining two guests... a Tostan volunteer and her friends from Rome. They came to the village and stayed for a few days and then we headedto Dakar for the weekend. I think they both enjoyed time in the village but realize now how hard life can be there. I am glad they came. I had a wonderful time with them and it was nce showing of some of the things i have accomplished here thus far.
Tuesday I am headed to The Gambia with a few other volunteers to study about beekeeping. There has been quite a bit of interest in working with bees from the villagers and i think it will be a great way for me to do agriculture work in a different way than just gardening. I will be in Gambia for about 3 days and have been told i should have all the knowledge neccessary to be able to get started when i return. I am really excited about this little trip and hope to come out of it with some new prospects for work.
Things are really starting to pick up around here workwise. The rains should be coming within the next month and a half. Everyone is planting their gardens and starting tree peppineres now. I have a goal of planting 2000 trees using peppinering (tree sacks) before the end of May. I also have a goal of direct seeding 3000 trees during the month of June. I have collected a LOT of seeds for the women's group in the village. After the first few rains, we will be planting seeds for trees that will grow and make live fences. This will elliminate a lot of animals eating in the gardens when they should not be. Also, a live fence is completely sustainable on its own. So there is no need for outside funding or replacing the fence in the future. This live fence was something the volunteer before me worked on a little and the women are really passionae about getting it growing. It will take a few years before it will be ful grown but there is no better time to start than now!
I will be all over the place in the next few months. I will try and take some cool pics from The Gambia and send them out soon. Take Care.