Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Monday, September 28, 2009

Nam Noun Mbiu???

Mbedee jamm! Taa Mbind naa? Jaam reek Mene. Xaye, jegaam Ganard. Xaarit es, jessica, a xe gardaa no mbind in. Contantaam! kaa faax. Fogaam xan in tayel naal fop. Apres, Kaam bugo jow a put. Xan in naam apaax!

ok, so that was a little bit of sereer. the language i speak here in my village. My language has come such a long way and in th past few months i have noticed myself go from good to really good. Above i just said...

Good morning. how is your family? We are in peace here. Today i will have a guest. My friend jessica is coming to visit us. I am very happy. i think we will be lazy all day but i will cook lunch. We will eat a lot.

haha pretty elementary but thats how people talk here in the village; there are always the same exact greetings every single time you see someone.. How areyou? how is the family? are you in peace?


!Hope everyone is doing ok and happy and healthy. Excitement is growing deep inside because in about two months i will be home for christmas vacation!!!! I have never known such excitement! things here have been going great since i got back to the village. I havent done much in the lines of work lately because everything has been planted and people are just waiting to harvest their fields. the rains are slowly starting to subside... Which means the cool season is soon to come. But things have been quite humid lately. I started waking up in puddles of sweat again...nasty! Within a month or so the weather should tame down. I cant even imagine what it will feel like in america. I was freezing a few nights ago and woke up and checked the thermometer. It was 71 degrees...
I am in the midst of waitng for money for my school garden project; i have had this project in the works since last February and am reallllllyl hoping to get it funded. Say a little prayer for me because i need all i can get. If i dont get the project funded soon, i doubt it ever will :( the school garden project will be huge for the village and for the school. Now all i need is Peac corps to approve the project and hand over the xaalis (money in wolof).

I recently spoke on the phone with the new volunteer coming to live in the village beside me. she is learning Sereer also. She sounded super enthusiastic on the phone and i am so excited to get a few face around here. I think she and i will have opportunitues to work together in the future. she will be living lless than a mile from me. Her family has never had a volunteer before so i think she may need a little help in the beginning. people here sometimes are confused about what a volunteer is really supposed to do here. I am hoping i can be a good reference for her to get her on her feet.

We just had Korite in the village... The holiday is the end of ramadan. I actaully celebrated it twice because on half of the village celebrated it on Sunday and the other half celebrated it on monday.. to say the least, i ate more than my fair share. I got some really good photos that i put up on facebook. i realize not everyone uses facebook so i will try and add them to my online photo album in a few minutes...

Miss you all..... 70 days until i get home lol