Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year, New Work

Ive been dreading posting on here because i guess that means my vacation is officially over. I am currently back in Senegal and am heading back to the village tomorrow. UGH! Im not really dreading going back or anything but no one really likes to go back to work. I spent the last month in The States visiting family and friends. I had a wonderful time and was sad to leave. But all was well and i am back and refreshed and ready to move forward.
Before heading home for the holidays, I received a large amount of money from the US government funding a community garden project I have been trying to get off the ground for over a year. FINALLY its all coming together and now its time to get down to business and make it happen. Im planning to have a village meeting this week and find out how the village wants to get our new project started. I also need to find out if they came up with 10% of the money for the project. Villages have to pay for 10% of the cost of the community project as a way for th government to know that they are really invested in it, Also, they have to pay for atleast 15% more of the project which can be done through free labor. Hopefully they will be ready to get going.... but things take a lot longer than necessary here so i guess ill just have to wait and see what kinds of problems i hear about after getting home...I am very excited to get this project going. The village will really be happy when it is complete.

I dont have much other news since i am just now getting back and settling in. Thanks to everyone that made Ablaye's and my vacation great. We had a wondeful trip and couldnt have asked to have better time. Thanks again to all of those who donated money as well... It is all very appreciated!