Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Look me in the lips!!

After arriving back to the village after a FUN week in Dakar, i was greeted by one of my favorite English club students. He came over, shook my hand, and said "Look me in the lips." Obviously i laughed and asked him what he was talking about and he told me he saw it in a Revlon make up add in a magazine i had given him. Anyway, it was quite funny and now i realize i need to actually look through magazines before i give them out...cosmopolitan is not exactly rated PG!

David and i are currently in the middle of another Book Mobile run. Things this month have been a little smoother than last month. We are finally understanding what is exactly expected of us and what to do and when to do it. We also started doing more activities in the villages with the kids to try and "make the books comes alive!" We are trying to teah the kids that the books are great ways to use your imagination. Most kids here have to grow up at a very early age and dont have much of an opportunity to be a kid and actualy PLAY. David and i took some kids aside and did a few read alouds. We also had the kids choose their favorite animal in one of the books and we did animal face paintings. The kids really had a good time. We are going out with the Book Mobile again tomorrow. The truck is having some mechanical problems. Hopefully we make it through the day... wish us luck!

The garden project is still going SLOW!!! I have laid low for the past two weeks and kind of stepped back to see if someone in the village would step up to the plate.. i dont quite think that has happened yet! The project is moving along but super slow. It is about halfway finished and we are now two months in. ugh... whatever though... its not my loss!

Other projects- I recently decided i want to get the school children involved in tree planting this year. I plan to repaint the mural on the school wall(the volunteer before me made a mural map of the whole world on the side of the school...its old and in reallly bad shape now!) and the painting will have something to do with health, gardening, and trees! I think it will be a great way to remind the children each day about the project that is currently being built for them. I want to get all the kids involved and have them use their handprints to make leaves for trees. The kids havent been involved in the building of the garden so i think this will be a good way to introduce the garden and get the involved. I want to talk to the head master this weekend and get the OK but it shouldnt be a problem :)

I am going to upload some photos this week... be on the lookout! Hope everyone at home is doing ok... miss you all!