Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Village fun!

So many things to say dont knwo where to start. I just got back to Thies athis morning. We have had languag class alllll day here. Everything is going GREAT with my language class. I already tsted out of about half of everything i eed efore i can swear in. I only need to pass one more language test before nov 7th...i have a few more tests but only need to pass on more. I am kind of surprised at how wel i have done. The other guy learning Sereer has not been so lucky and is having LOTS of trouble with language.
Eveything in my village has been great...for te most part anyway. I have had SEVERAL bites on my legs and i cannot figure out why. I counted yesterday 78 bites from the knees down. They hurt and itch. I went to the doctor today and she thinks my room may be infested with something. Peace Corps officers are going there while i am gone to check it out. I think i will nd up getting a new atress out of it... mine sucks... so im pumped about that!!! I hope whatever i have clearsup in the next few days.

Yesterday wa Korite... a huge muslim holiday. Kind of equivalent to Christmas. Last night I went to a huge village party and EVERYONE danced all night. It was pretty cool to see some real african dancing in the village. It was outside in the middle of the sandy soccer field. They had one light that was working from a car battery. All the men played drums and other random home made musical instruments and the women danced. EVeryone dressed up in the nicest clothes possible. It was very cool. It wa like something you would se on national geographic.

Other than Korite, nothing too exciting has happened in my village. My parents are very nosy though...thats starting to get on my nerves a little. EVeryone know everything about everyone...if i stand up someone is always like...where are you going??? Its getting old but im getting used to it. My family has been very great to me and i think i eat better than most other trainees. I have meat a lot and many others never have it. I am happy Ramadan is over so now my family wont be fasting anymore. Im happy about that because they are in better moods and also i dont feel bad about eating breakfast and lunch. I am pretty happy in the village bt it is verrry good to be back in town and have electricity!!! :)

Tomorrow morning i am going to visit the village i will be living in for the next two years. I found out today tha i will be living in Diangle ( in Sokone). It is near the western coast of Senegal.... just north of Gambia. I heard that it is really great there and my village is right on a tributary!! WOOOHOOOOO!!! WATER! The girl there now has been very successful and will be leaving in a few weeks. I am taking over for her. I am excited about visiting her. I will be there until next Thursday...i think... I have been told i have a great site and should be happy... I am!

I will be back in Thies next week for a few days! Hope all is well with everyone reading this...take care!