Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Friday, January 30, 2009

The perfect time for a break

Today is finally friday... in general, days of the week here do not matter. Monday is the same as Wednesday is the same as Saturday; however, I have been waiting for today for awhile. I am going in Kaolack today meeting up with friends. We have our next training session in Thies starting tomorrow. I will be taking another language test and then having two full weeks of ag trainging. I will also be learning Wolof...hopefully i will be able to get adecent grasp on the logistics of the language so i can continue learning on my own after the training is finished. Im excited to get back to Thies and see all of the others from my group. I havent seen many of them in about 3 months. I have been in Senegal for almost 5 months by the way!
So i think i met an angle this week... his name is Cisse'. I was reading out in the field one day and this random guy comes walking up and started talking to me. We spoke in Sereer for a few minutes and then he sais "you are a bright girl" as he was walking away. We started speaking English and come to find out he speaks fluently and used to be an English teacher. He also speaks Italian, Spanish, French, Wolof, and Sereer. I went to visit him later that day and we discussed projects etc... AND NOW I FINALLY HAVE A LANGUAGE TUTOR!!! It has taken me almost 3 months to find someone in the village that speaks English. Cisse' is one of my new favorite people. I love his family and he is very intelligent. He is a hard worker and has many projects that i hope to help him with. I am starting lass with him after i get back from training. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out and he really will help me out with language tutoring.
Everything in the village has been going ok but this was a very tough week to get through. On Monday, i was hanging out with my family and one of the little kids started crying. His mother went out and got a stick from the tree and began beating him with it...she showed no signs of topping so one of the other mothers pushed her away and thn they began fighting. This has happened several times but this week was the worst of it. It is very hard for me to sit back and watch this. Its hard to make an effort to like people when you cant stand the things they do. The kids in my family are so cute and i really like them. After this incident on Monday, i really almost left the village and came to Kaolack.... in the end, i stayed but the rest of th week sucked. I am hoping that during my training things will cool off at the house and i can go back to a fresh new start. In the meantime, i am trying to figure out what i can do next time this happens because next time im not going to watch it. I think i want to have a talk with the mother that is always hitting her children and tell her that i want to find a new family if she continues with her wreckless behavior because i refuse to sit there and watch it. I dont know how i will go about this but i am hoping i can do it in a successful way. Until then, I plan to have a good time in Thies and enjoy my friends. I hope all is well with friends and family and everyone is happy and healthy :)