Ablaye and Daba

Ablaye and Daba

Friday, January 16, 2009


Right now i am enjoying the wifi connextion at a campement in kaolack. We are having a three day regional meeting. Today was the first day and it really has been great so far. I have been able to meet with many other volunteers and find out about some of the projects they are doing. It is a good way for new volunteers to find out what really worksaround here and what doesnt. I am planning to start a girls group in my village. The girls will have a garden of their own and will plant bissap (hibiscus in the states). One of the oher volunteers has a connection with an organization that helps her girls group export their bissap to the states and is sold in California. She said they the demand is o high they they cannot keep up. I am hoping to be able to get the same thing going in my village. The girls will be able to earn their own money and put it to use somewhere they see beneficial...hopefully school and such. I am planning o go with this other voluntee Monday and meet with the lady that got it all started for her. Getting projects such as this one started always tate forever. First i am going to have to meet wit this lady and find out what sh wants me to do. There is a ton of paper work and i also have to go to someone in charge of land and get a plot of land to give t the girls to get started on. All of these things take time...much more time than one might think. Buthopefully i will be able to get on it because i se big advantages for the girls if it really works out. The young girls already hae a small bissap garden so i know there is interest. Now i just need the right materials to get started. Imsure i will also have to fork over money out of my pocket to get it going but i think it sounds beneficial.

There wasa holiday here last week somewhat like Halloween. All the chilrdren cross dress and go to each other's houses begging for rice and millet. They sing and dance. It was cute. I got some good photos. Thanks to a nice package of candy from miss Angie, i gave out sweet tarts...lets just say i was a celebrity for a day...
Soo... today, i fond ou that my faher just took on a 4th wife!!! I just wrote in my last blog that he took on a third wife...and now there is 4. I dont know much about this yet but i am kind of thankful. Im over the drama that this creates and i am thankful that i am not in the village at the moment listening to it. Im in shock and disbelief because my family has NOOOO money. I dont know what my father here is thinking and dont even want to know. All i can say is God Bless America.

Also, i finally figured out how to upload photos here..ENJOY:):)